published on in Latest

Real-Life Santa Bud Kline dies at 86 after brief illness

Hagerstown, Maryland, is gripped by sorrow following the passing of a beloved figure, Santa Bud Kline, renowned for bringing joy to generations of children in the community for 57 years. His sudden demise on December 2, 2023, at the age of 86, has left a profound impact on the hearts of many.

Megan Wolfe, representing Kline’s family, conveyed the somber news via a heartfelt social media statement, appealing for privacy during their time of mourning. The announcement highlighted Kline’s multifaceted role beyond being Santa, emphasizing his significance as a father, grandfather, brother, husband, and more.

A fixture in Hagerstown since 1966, Floyd “Bud” Kline stepped into the role of Santa Claus while managing a Phillips 66 gas station on Virginia Avenue. Initially lacking the iconic silver hair and flowing white beard, the then-29-year-old Kline ingeniously fashioned his Santa persona using women’s wigs to match the character’s signature appearance.

Reflecting on his half-century Santa career, Kline shared, “All of the children are surprised to see me… I have a good relationship with all of the children. I just love kids. That’s why I have been into doing this for the last 50 years.”

Despite facing various health challenges, including significant issues in 2018 and a life-threatening cardiac condition, Bud Kline continued to embody the spirit of Christmas, touching the lives of countless families throughout the region. His dedication garnered an outpouring of condolences and tributes on social media, with many expressing their heartfelt memories and gratitude for his enduring kindness.

Residents from Hagerstown and neighboring areas shared stories of their encounters with Santa Bud Kline, emphasizing the profound impact he had on their lives. From nostalgic recollections of childhood moments to tributes acknowledging his unwavering dedication to spreading joy, the community remembers him as more than just Santa Claus but as a compassionate soul who made the holiday season brighter for all.

As Hagerstown mourns the loss of its cherished real-life Santa Claus, the legacy of Bud Kline will endure through the countless lives he touched, leaving behind a legacy of warmth, compassion, and enduring Christmas spirit.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51kv6aty2ajop6VYsCiutOaZJutlGK4rbXNnmSdoZWoeqLAjHFtZpmWqbKzecGroJ6eXZ65rbrErKpo